 Robotics / 22701
RE: interfacing PCs with LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:30:32 GMT

Hi Rob,

It sounds like you want to do something more like the open source
"Rodney" project:
http://www.fuzzgun.btinternet.co.uk/rodney/rodney.htm

It's not LEGO, but it is cool and sounds more like what you describe
above--would probably be a heck of a lot cheaper than attempting to do
the same in LEGO.

Cheaper, maybe -- but certainly not easier, at least for me.  I
haven't the tools, skills, or desire to work with metal or fabricate
custom parts.  I'm willing to do a bit of adaptation to, say, make an
RC servo interface with my LEGO structural elements, but that's about
the only custom fabrication I think I can handle.

So, yes, something like this bot is what I would like to eventually
do, except that the structure will be LEGO rather than metal.

To give you an appreciation of size in terms of LEGO, check out Eric
Sophie's Jamocklaquat
(http://www.biomechanicalbricks.com/ESLC/jamocklaquat.htm) which uses 41
motors.  The robot is as tall as an 8-to-10 year old child.

Thanks, I'd been looking for that!  I saw some pictures of it from
BrickFest, but hadn't found its home page yet.  Very cool.  (And ye
gods, that guy has a lot of blue LEGO.)

Thanks,
- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |
|    joe@strout.net           http://www.macwebdir.com/            |