 Robotics / 22700
22699  |  22701
Subject:
interfacing PCs with LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 09:08:50 GMT

Joe

I do a lot of "mechtronics" and my philosophy is:

Use the PC for doing things that a PC is good at - like the vision and
intelligent planning.

Use a whole lot of PICs for doing what PICs are good at.

Any PIC con only do one time-critcal thing. OK, I know that in theory you
con multiplex all sort of control loops but, in practice, I've given up
doing that. If you have two time-critical things to do then use two PICs.
If you have three time-critical things to do ...

A cheap PIC costs around a dollar. So use one PIC per joint or motor to do
a PID-feedback loop or whatever.

Talk to all the PICs over a single serial line. Give each PIC an address
and only program it so it only responds to messages directed to it. All
PICs reply on the same "open-collector" serial line. Each only replies when
queried.

PICs can implement USB, CAN-bus, ethernet, etc. but for what you're
planning I would have thought RS232 (running at 0V..5V) would do everything
required.

Peter