 Robotics / 22707
Re: RCX serial output? Interfacing to Yost ServoCenter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:52:57 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mr S <szinn_the1@yahoo.com> wrote:
To put some things straight...

Thanks that does clear things up for me quite a bit.

Additionally, the IR port on the RCX can be used to
communicate with devices other than the IR tower from
LEGO. www.mindsensors.com has a few external devices
that communicate via the RCX IR port.

OK, so in theory at least, you could make an IR receiver that would plug into
the RS232 port on the Yost ServoCenter, and thereby be able to control 16 (or
more) servos or motors from one RCX brick.

That'd be a pretty cool trick -- a huge savings over having a zillion RCXes for
the same job, yet still interfacing neatly with the Mindstorms approach (e.g.
for use with mindstorms sensors).

Making that IR-to-RS232 adapter is beyond my hardware skills, but maybe somebody
else will take up the challenge.

Thanks,
- Joe