 Robotics / 13921
Re: Microsoft and LEGO Company Announce a Shared Doom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 23:53:13 GMT

I believe the main reason why TLC has joined with MS is that TLC has stopped
growing for the first time in its history and is trying to find a way not to
go bankrupt in a fair amount of time! The major cause of TLC to have losses
is the ever more growing competition with computers and related toys.
The RCX was partly initiated to overcome this problem, but bacause of the
(relative) high prize this didn't work good enough. Besides it did not
affect the marketing target as it were mainly older buyers which were
already Lego-fans. The children still were playing their computergames.
One of the relatively new markets for TLC is their gaming-software, and
online activities. Seeking out a partner with lots of experiance in that
field of business seems a logical choice to me.

My conclusion has two sides:
- I hope that MS does NOT get involved in the core-business of Lego:
creating models out of bricks, including R&D of RCX, Cybermaster, Scout, etc
etc!
- I hope that the sharing of knowledge makes it possible for TLC to grow in
both directions: bricks and software and thus keep this wonderful toy
available for all time!

Jeroen.

(It is very well possible I have overlooked some facts, but this is how I
feel about this topic)
Visit my homepage
http://home.hccnet.nl/jv.stap/