 General / 26336
Re: Microsoft and LEGO Company Announce a Shared Doom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:09:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Johnston writes:
What this press release boils down to is:

1) Microsoft powering the S@H stuff on the Web.

Oh, just what I've always wanted!

* Hey, it can't get any worse than it is now - whenever I try to go there
it's so slow as to be completely unusable.

So there's one redeeming aspect.

2) LEGO licensed the ability to use Windows Media for the Studios sets.
* Weren't people asking for more options than just .mpg?

Feh.  Windows Media is M$ bogo-format.

We want real standards.

3) LEGO writes games for the Xbox.

Xbox is M$.  Ptui.

* BFD, as far as I'm concerned.  There's no mention of it being an
exclusive deal either, so they will in all probability continue to write
it for home computers as well.  They may even write for other platforms
like the PS2.

And MacOS and Linux?

4) LEGO uses M$ stuff for its corporate network.
* They probably do that anyway, or something close to it.  Very few
non-computer companies run their networks using Unix, and very ferw
companies period use Macs (sad to say).

Very few companies ruin their networks using Unix.  :-)

The only mention of Mindstorms comes in the "About LEGO Company" section,
so I think it's a wee bit premature to start panicing and tossing rumors
around.  I don't think any of the above is going to "interfere with your
favorite toy".

Tell that to the Gingerbread Man.  :-)

--Todd