 General / 26326
Re: Microsoft and LEGO Company Announce a Shared Dream
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:08:23 GMT

Jeff Johnston wrote:

What this press release boils down to is:

1) Microsoft powering the S@H stuff on the Web.
* Hey, it can't get any worse than it is now - whenever I try to go there
it's so slow as to be completely unusable.

Um, and why is it so bad?  I wonder if it has anything to do with
using Microsoft software to begin with.  I observe that the web site
works a lot better with Internet Explorer than Netscape on my PC,
and it doesn't work at all on my Unix workstation.  It actually
*could* get worse.  It could go down more often.

4) LEGO uses M$ stuff for its corporate network.
* They probably do that anyway, or something close to it.  Very few
non-computer companies run their networks using Unix, and very ferw
companies period use Macs (sad to say).

I have read that Microsoft has done this to other companies, too.
Many IS departments have used Linux servers instead of Microsoft servers
because Linux is more reliable and less expensive.
This kind of "strategic relationship" is a way for Microsoft to fight
that trend and to lock the Lego company into software that they have to
pay for every time they upgrade.
Sorry I don't have links about this handy but maybe someone else
who knows more about this could post some.

Not sure where follow-ups should go...
/Eric McC/