 Off-Topic / Geek / 2673
Re: Microsoft and LEGO Company Announce a Shared Doom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:50:00 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> writes:

I'm very disappointed by this press release because I can only
conclude that LEGO is no longer a moral company.

I'm honestly a bit puzzled by this statement.  Regarding the MS issue,
it's not like LEGO has released lots of software for non-MS OS earlier
on.

And regarding the implied statement that LEGO used to be a moral
company.  I don't see that agressive marketing towards children is
unproblematic in the first place.  Then comes the pairing up with
popular children's icons like Disney and Harry Potter to sell more
toys to children.

And how about selling violent toys to children?  Clearly this can not
be moral.  It is quite clear to me that lots of themes are pretty
violent, for example the Adventurer's, which are generally armed to
their teeth.

Then comes cooperating with McDonald's and Shell.  There are quite a
few examples of rather immoral practice by the said companies, and
cooperating with them can be seen as supporting this.

I'm rather puzzled to hear that cooperating with Microsoft is what
suddenly makes LEGO immoral.  I see the cooperation between LEGO and
Microsoft as a continuation of LEGO's recent marketing trend.

Fredrik