 General / 26315
Re: Microsoft and LEGO Company Announce a Shared Dream
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:54:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dean Husby writes:
Mario Ferrari wrote:

"Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com> wrote:
In lugnet.general, Asher Kobin writes:
Microsoft & LEGO form partnership.  From:
http://www.lego.com/info/pressspecific.asp?PressReleaseId=154&Year=2001

Here's a similar press release at the M$ site:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/jan01/01-10legopr.asp

What should we expect from this?

This is a disaster... If M$ does with LEGO that they do to everyone else we can
soon expect LEGO to try to pull the plug on all Free Thinking. Especially
anything to do with Linux. V2 may not allow 3rd party programs to work with it
now. You can also forget about a Mac version... User agreements 100's of pages
long.

Whoah there Dean, calm down.

What this press release boils down to is:

1) Microsoft powering the S@H stuff on the Web.
* Hey, it can't get any worse than it is now - whenever I try to go there
it's so slow as to be completely unusable.

2) LEGO licensed the ability to use Windows Media for the Studios sets.
* Weren't people asking for more options than just .mpg?

3) LEGO writes games for the Xbox.
* BFD, as far as I'm concerned.  There's no mention of it being an
exclusive deal either, so they will in all probability continue to write
it for home computers as well.  They may even write for other platforms
like the PS2.

4) LEGO uses M$ stuff for its corporate network.
* They probably do that anyway, or something close to it.  Very few
non-computer companies run their networks using Unix, and very ferw
companies period use Macs (sad to say).

The only mention of Mindstorms comes in the "About LEGO Company" section,
so I think it's a wee bit premature to start panicing and tossing rumors
around.  I don't think any of the above is going to "interfere with your
favorite toy".