 Robotics / 13875
Re: Microsoft and LEGO Company Announce a Shared Dream
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 05:25:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Brian Alano wrote:

In trying to read substance from the press release on the Lego site, all
I found was this:

Microsoft will advertise and sell Legos.

Well - we probably don't care too much about *that*.

TLG will write software that is compliant with Microsoft protocols.

*THAT* is the exact "Big Bad Thing" that I'm most worried about.

M$ protocols are generally *closed* - and are generally undocumented (unless
you are a licensed developer and sign non-disclosure agreements, etc).  TLG would
certainly have to sign those non-disclosure agreements - and this
could very well mean no more NQC, no more Linux support, etc, etc.

It would be much better if Lego stuck with standard protocols.

Take for example the Microsoft force-feedback joysticks.  There are no
drivers for them under Linux because M$ won't release the protocols for
them.  That's not a problem under Windoze - providing you use Direct-X
for your applications.

It's not even that Microsofts' protocols are all that wonderful.  Have
you noticed all these "Email viruses" that appear on M$ PC's?  There has
not been (nor could ever be) a Linux virus that propagated via email.
You have M$'s wonderful protocols to thank for the approximately 2 BILLION
dollars that were lost due to the ravages of "I Love You" and "Mellissa".

Is this *really* the company that you want engineering the protocols that
connect up your RCX?

If RCX 3.0 (or whatever) went that way, you'd be using the Lego/Microsoft
programming environment or *NOTHING*...there almost certainly wouldn't be
a LegOS, an NQC or any of the other interesting programming environments.

As a Linux user, I'd be using MegaBlocks!  :-(

Doesn't sound like a big deal, but then again, dealing with the devil
rarely does.

Exactly.

I know this email makes me seem kinda paranoid - but I've been here before
with other companies who decided to dance with the devil - it's *NOT* good.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>