 Robotics / 13923
Re: Microsoft and LEGO Company Announce a Shared Doom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 02:10:41 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dean Husby writes:
Jeroen Stap wrote:
I believe the main reason why TLC has joined with MS is that TLC has stopped
growing for the first time in its history and is trying to find a way not to
go bankrupt in a fair amount of time! The major cause of TLC to have losses
is the ever more growing competition with computers and related toys.
The RCX was partly initiated to overcome this problem, but bacause of the
(relative) high prize this didn't work good enough. Besides it did not
affect the marketing target as it were mainly older buyers which were
already Lego-fans. The children still were playing their computergames.
One of the relatively new markets for TLC is their gaming-software, and
online activities. Seeking out a partner with lots of experiance in that
field of business seems a logical choice to me.

If they are seeking a partner to help them with LEGO Games then perhaps they
SHOULD be seeing a company that has a proven GAME record. NOT a destroyer of
the public good!

Hmm, yes, I agree!  BTW, did you know that there are 3 adult LEGO fans at
Electronic Arts?  Steve Jackson (yes, _the_ Steve Jackson) is also an adult
fan of LEGO.  :-)

My conclusion has two sides:
- I hope that MS does NOT get involved in the core-business of Lego:
creating models out of bricks, including R&D of RCX, Cybermaster, Scout,
etc

I would hope that M$ does not get involved at all. M$ is only enters
anything for their own gains.

This is mostly what has me worried.  There's nothing wrong with wanting to
make money (IMHO), but M$ places making money above all else -- above quality,
above morality, above humanity, above everything.  0937, on the other hand,
has always been a moral company and has placed quality and moral standards
above making a quick buck selling junk.  (Note: I'm not trying to imply
that all M$ products are junk.)

- I hope that the sharing of knowledge makes it possible for TLC to grow in
both directions: bricks and software and thus keep this wonderful toy
available for all time!

I hope this too, which is why so many of us are growing upset over the news
that the Destroyer of open standards and thinking is digging it's bloody
claws into our favorite pastime and creative outlet.

I totally agree with that fear.  But what worries me _even more_ is wondering
whether M$ will corrupt 0937 or whether 0937 is already broken.  Do moral
companies hop in the sack with M$ like this?  I just hope and pray that there
will still be any morality left in 0937 two years down the road.

--Todd