 Publishing / 2052
Re: Wow! This guy is good!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:14:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Scott A <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
Around 5 years ago there was an artist in NY painting blow-ups of Bank of
England notes. The BoE tried to close him down, but as the images were not
copyrighted - it cound not be done. All new notes are now copyrighted.

I'm not sure this makes sense -- copyright isn't something that has to be
done; it's something you automatically have over any of your creative works.

I do not know about England, but in the United States there is no copyright on
anything produced by the U.S. Government.  The idea is that works created with
public money belongs to the public.

Of course there are laws other than copyright that restrict reproducing
certain governmental creations, such as counterfeiting laws, privacy laws,
secrecy laws and the like.

Will
--->                http://linux.bu.edu/