 General / 19129
Re: Wow! This guy is good!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:31:43 GMT

   As a point of information, I'm quite certain that the images are not from
PixelLEGO or other such program.  If you examine a PixelLEGO image at high
magnification you'll see that each color is homogeneous.  If you examine the
images in question at high magnification you'll see that they are not
homogeneous.  That some of the images have a noticable skew is also evidence
that they are photos of a real object.  I doubt he went to the trouble of
rotating the images a few degrees on purpose.

   The most likely way he created them the same way I've created something
similar (although mine is on a much smaller scale) - by scanning an image and
mapping it to a palette of the desired LEGO brick colors.  [Note that his
portraits appear to use only colors from tubs and buckets.  No Tan, Brown,
Grey, etc...]  It's a *lot* of work, even for a small image, but the talent is
within easy reach.

   In my image the tops of the bricks are visible, whereas in his the sides of
the bricks are visible.  My image is not yet posted anywhere, but will be
included in the near future as part of the presentation of the current LEGO
project I'm working on.

Brian H. Nielsen

In lugnet.general, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.general, James Brown writes:

And as to the 'must be fake'...

For the record, I don't doubt that someone could actually do the portraits.  I
certainly have seen things people have done that I think are even *more*
impressive.... I find 3-D modelling and especially intricate clever uses of
small pieces to be much more impressive than something like this.

However, I want to clear something up:  When I said "if I think they must be
computer done then they are really good" it was actually meant as a • complement.
I think they are very, very well done.

The question about Eric Harshbarger's PixelLEGO was an honest one, but as Todd
posited, I think they would have been in a different style if they had been • run
through that.

eric