 General / 18786
Re: Wow! This guy is good!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 15:35:19 GMT

Eric Kingsley <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote:
That'd be a trademark issue -- different from copyright.
Ahh but what about Andy Worhol -sp?  Did he get in trouble for say his Coke
painting or his Campbells soup painting?

There is a "fair use" concept which applies to all forms of intellectual
property. Use in art is one of the well-established fair use areas. However,
with the way trademark laws work, you'd better be prepared to defend
yourself against armies of lawyers. This is especially true with things on
the internet or digital technology, which many IP interests seem to see as
an excuse to dispose of any concept of fair use. (Witness UTICA, the DeCSS
case, various anti-mp3 suits...)

Sorry -- this is getting really off topic.  Moving -> .publish. If anyone
wants to debate IP concepts, it should go to -> .debate, where I'll sadly
ignore it because I don't have enough time.

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/