 People / 3052
Re: opinions sought on selling a mass amount of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:57:30 GMT

I pretty much agree with what Jon said, which in a nutshell is: don't go. I
can't blame you for worrying about your art suffering though, although there
could be numerous factors affecting that. I haven't touched a pencil or a
paintbrush since someone broke into my garage, stole my life's work
portfolio (interestingly, an actual art critic because whomever stole my
paintings and drawings tossed out my 2 worst paintings before absconding the
rest of my work). This was 3 years ago now. (Also, oddly, they didn't take
anything else... not the $500 moutain bikes, tools, anything else). That
pretty much sucked the desire to paint and draw right out of me.

If you think Lego is distracting you from your real work... is there any way
to hide it from yourself? Just put it in the crawl space for a year or
something like that? Yes, I certainly understand about the motivation to
liquidate it from lack of income (my employer is going broke and I may not
have a job in 2 weeks, hence the switch to the hotmail account) but you
*know* you're going to want to buy it all back someday, and it would cost
more than you could get for it. Keep it, store it, give it to a nephew even.
But only sell parts you don't want (lol I wish I had the energy to sell off
the parts I don't need. Thankfully castle-heads like Bryan will happily
trade elements I want for my unwanted parts. (Maybe you could trade locally?)

If its a money issue why not open up a Bricklink store?  You could weed out
the parts you don't need and cover the cost of future purchases.

I have a Bricklink store already, but I can't find any parts that I want to
get rid of that anyone would buy... since I enjoy all of the themes, it
requires a crazy-varied collection of parts.  Any ideas?
Ah. back to the trades thing then maybe?

Basically:  Don't leave.  I swear you'll regret it down the road.

I know I will.  I don't regret getting rid of my TF collection at all, but
getting rid of the Lego will hurt a lot.  I don't want to do it at all.

You got rid of your TF collection???? Ack, I missed out on that. In the last
year I had just started collecting them again.

thanks, I am not very fond of discussing this on Lugnet because it feels
hypocritical to me, like I am adding to the very thing that annoys me...
non-brick-based-discussion.

later!
Joel K

Heh. Well, I guess there has to be some, right? As for critiques: you never
want to be too blunt, because that can be misconstrued as simply being rude.
Part of the problem there, though, usually the creations that wow you (and
you post about) are the ones that you feel you wouldn't have been able to
do. Which therefor makes offering constuctive criticism difficult. (True,
somebody of 'greater skill' might be able to offer something useful. But
then with the 'dilution' of lugnet and the ever-increasing number of moc's
out there, most of the people who could offer useful criticism might just
have had their fill of commented on new moc's (at least, for a while). Which
leaves you with the people who are wowed, who generally won't feel like they
can add anything constructive, right?

Yup, I'm rambling, sorry. Tired.

However, I still love perusing bricklink once in a while and seeing what's
been added. If there's creation I'm particularly interested in, the I'll
search Lugnet's news to see what comments the builder had about it ("It
features opening doors, hood, positionable wings", or "It really transforms,
I did this by..." or "...note the complete interior right down to the
inclusion of a toilet"). In case I miss any small nifty details by just
browsing the images.

A. Mark Wilburn