 Marketplace / Appraisal / 596
Re: opinions sought on selling a mass amount of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 05:34:31 GMT

"Joel Kuester" <septenemae@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I don't know if I can properly explain it.  I have been struggling with • this
idea for a long time.  There is so *much* I still want to do with Lego, • but
it seems more and more like the real art I do has suffered.  I only made 3
or 4 paintings last year, and that upsets me.  I am very fearful of losing
my Lego and that makes angry at myself for becoming dependant on one media
to express myself.  As long as the Lego is sitting there, it demands my
attention.  I wish I could just let it sit, but it won't.

Also, Sarah was just getting into Lugnet and working with Lego which was
cool, when she had a situation where she feels she was unfairly insulted
personally by Suz.  She hasn't touched her Lego since, and she left • Lugnet.
That took a lot of the fun out of it for me.  The self-obsession that has
taken over the Lugnet entity (most of the posts here seem to be *about* • some
aspect of Lugnet lately and not actually about MOCs or Lego ideas) is
alternately disturbing and boring to me.

Add to that the obsessed whine-hole that the AFOL 'community' has become • and
the rapid spiral Lugnet and Brickshelf have undertaken lately, it just • isn't
any fun to me to share my constructions.  I have gotten what I feel to be • a
valuable critique once or maybe twice out of dozens of responses to my • MOCs.
And I know it is unusual to expect a place like Lugnet to produce sound
critiques, but that's honestly what I am hoping for in feedback; its not
Lugnet's fault for not giving me it, but if it can't, I should realize it
and stop waiting for the improbable.

If I don't manage to sell my lego, I will still build stuff, but I can't
post any pics because our digital camera broke and I can't afford a new • one.
Even if I could, I just don't feel a desire to anymore, I know what all • the
posts will be: "cool! can't wait to see more..."  That's a nice thing to
say, but there is never that deeper discussion that I desire.  Back in '97
when I first started interacting with AFOLs I was really hoping that once
people got to know each other better, we could take on complex • intercourses
on the meanings and situations behind the life of AFOLs... and I tried a
couple times to foster these issues only to get responses like "yeah, • that's
neat... we should talk about it some time in the future...", but I don't • see
these future discussions ever happen so I feel that my involvement has • been
worthless.

Finally, I wouldn't be so tempted to sell it if I wouldn't have lost my • job
last year.

I don't know how long and how much effort it took you to amass 800k pieces,
but I think the only reason to sell is if you were really, desperately
being-thrown-into-the-street in need of money situation. If you're suffering
from a Lego addiction, getting rid of the Lego won't help. The addiction or
compulsion itself has to be addressed. If it's not Lego it'll be something
else. As for having problems and friction with Lugnet and the AFOL
community, who cares about all that really? I've been building for years and
years, long before alt.toys.lego, rec.toys.lego, lugnet, et al. Before the
advent of the Internet, I really didn't know ANYONE else who was into Lego.
I built for fun, to get some creative juices flowing, as a mental exercise,
to kill some time on a rainy day, whatever. I couldn't care less whether or
not anyone comments on my MOCs. Long after Lugnet and the AFOL community are
gone, you'll still have your Lego and your MOCs. If you want to share pics
of your MOCs, just do it, whether anyone responds or not. You say you've
gotten one or two valuable critiques out of dozens of responses to your
MOCs, well that's on or two more than what you would have gotten if you
never shared. I, for one, rarely comment on MOCs, even though some of the
stuff I've seen is mindblowing.

I can remember back on alt.toys.lego, getting 5 new messages in a day was a
big deal. What's going on today truly amazing me. I don't know how long
you've been here, maybe you don't have the perspective I have from being
here so long, but if the online community is getting to you, just take a
break. Go offline for a week, a month or a year.