 Marketplace / Appraisal / 598
Re: opinions sought on selling a mass amount of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 06:05:38 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Joel Kuester writes:
Hello!

I have about 800 lbs of Lego or somewhere around 500,000 parts that I am
going to be selling in the near future.

I think that adding so many parts to Bricklink might lead to a fall in
prices on some of the lots you put up.  The entirety of Bricklink right now
has only 3.6 million items up for sale (including sets and parts).

Dumping another 14-15% of the entire currently listed supply on the market
will supress the value of what you are selling, and it will draw out further
price cuts from other vendors who do not wish to see their sales decrease
due to market share dilution.

To get the most amount of money out of your sales you will need to either
seek a bigger buyer's market (ebay is still the 800 pound gorilla in this
regard), or sell the parts off over a period of time longer than the horizon
that you sound interested in using for your sales.

Good luck with the project.  It would appear that you have a long, though
likely profitable, path ahead.