 Marketplace / Appraisal / 584
Re: opinions sought on selling a mass amount of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 07:45:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.appraisal, A. Mark Wilburn writes:
Nooooooooo.......! (D'oh).
Er, not that you shouldn't sell it per se, I just hope that doesn't mean we
won't see any more great creations from you. Your Jetfire and your Star Wars
creations in general were inspirational.

Hi,

Thanks, its nice to hear that... but this is all I got, and if I am able to
sell it, I won't be buying any more.  So that kinda guarantees I won't be
building.

Unless, of course, you're just clearing excess pieces...

I wish!  :)

(Ya, I know this wasn't terribly helpful, sorry. I don't know squat about
liquidating a collection, just wanted to ask why you were getting rid of it.

Yikes.. I wasn't going to address this issue.  But since you asked:

I don't know if I can properly explain it.  I have been struggling with this
idea for a long time.  There is so *much* I still want to do with Lego, but
it seems more and more like the real art I do has suffered.  I only made 3
or 4 paintings last year, and that upsets me.  I am very fearful of losing
my Lego and that makes angry at myself for becoming dependant on one media
to express myself.  As long as the Lego is sitting there, it demands my
attention.  I wish I could just let it sit, but it won't.

Also, Sarah was just getting into Lugnet and working with Lego which was
cool, when she had a situation where she feels she was unfairly insulted
personally by Suz.  She hasn't touched her Lego since, and she left Lugnet.
That took a lot of the fun out of it for me.  The self-obsession that has
taken over the Lugnet entity (most of the posts here seem to be *about* some
aspect of Lugnet lately and not actually about MOCs or Lego ideas) is
alternately disturbing and boring to me.

Add to that the obsessed whine-hole that the AFOL 'community' has become and
the rapid spiral Lugnet and Brickshelf have undertaken lately, it just isn't
any fun to me to share my constructions.  I have gotten what I feel to be a
valuable critique once or maybe twice out of dozens of responses to my MOCs.
And I know it is unusual to expect a place like Lugnet to produce sound
critiques, but that's honestly what I am hoping for in feedback; its not
Lugnet's fault for not giving me it, but if it can't, I should realize it
and stop waiting for the improbable.

If I don't manage to sell my lego, I will still build stuff, but I can't
post any pics because our digital camera broke and I can't afford a new one.
Even if I could, I just don't feel a desire to anymore, I know what all the
posts will be: "cool! can't wait to see more..."  That's a nice thing to
say, but there is never that deeper discussion that I desire.  Back in '97
when I first started interacting with AFOLs I was really hoping that once
people got to know each other better, we could take on complex intercourses
on the meanings and situations behind the life of AFOLs... and I tried a
couple times to foster these issues only to get responses like "yeah, that's
neat... we should talk about it some time in the future...", but I don't see
these future discussions ever happen so I feel that my involvement has been
worthless.

Finally, I wouldn't be so tempted to sell it if I wouldn't have lost my job
last year.  I am working now, but its one of the lamest-low-paying jobs
around and no one is responding to the resumes I send out... just a lot of
stuff is happening and I keep hearing a little voice in my head telling me
that dumping my Lego would be the best thing for me.

Although maybe, you could sell it all off at once to a group of people, and
let them figure out how to split it? That way you'd get more than just 1
person looking for a few specific pieces but still get rid of it all at once).

that's not a bad idea, although I think the group of people would have to
get together on their own for that situation.

thanks for your input, I hope my response isn't as rambling as it feels
right now, but its late and my eyelids are getting too heavy to write more.

ciao!
Joel K