 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7613
Re: [rtlToronto] BrickFest Pipe Racers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:55:12 GMT

Hi guys,

I'd like to tentatively announce the rtlToronto Robotics Event at BrickFest 2003
in Washington DC:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-080803-rules.html • ...
PS-If you're interested, could someone confirm the part numbers at an American
Home Depot so we're all on the same page?

First, I must warn you, this message is part info, part rant.  Deal with it!  :)

I have some free time (while I'm unemployed) so I made a run to US Home Depot
this morning.  Well, actually I got about half way there, and realized it's a
"Lowe's", but that's beside the point...

When I got there, I noticed they only sell pvc in five or ten foot pieces (not
twelve).  Must be the US/Canidian conversion rate or something.  The really odd
thing was that the five foot piece was about $.75US more expensive than the ten
foot piece.  And, they were out of ten foot pieces!  So, I got mad and left.

Not far from Lowe's is Menards, another home improvement place.  They also only
have 10 foot pieces.  (no 12s)

So I wandered through the coupler isle, and picked up several varities of
connectors.  Actually, I just went through the bag and realized one of them was
not what I expected.  I want to take some pictures, but I seem to have lost my
camera.

Anyway I found two types of 45s.  One is a smooth turn, the other is an abrupt
45 degree angle (like 2 straight pipes attached together).  I assume this
challenge is using the smooth bend.  Right?

Looking ahead, I also picked up some 90 degree turns.  I noticed there are three
different types.  A Vent pipe (very sharp) which has an outside distance of
about 4.5 inches.  That's the longest distance from one end (where the pipe goes
in) to the other. Listed as 90deg PVC VEN.

Next was 90deg PVC ELB (elbow), outside distance ~5.5 inches, and 90deg PVC LG
with ~7.5 inch outside distance.

I have the Menards part numbers for the pieces, but maybe it would be best to
just post some pictures.

One other suggestion about connecting the pieces.  It may hold together better
if each elbow is glued to one straight piece.  That should work fine, because
every time you need an elbow, you need a straight piece.  Just a thought.

Also, I'll offer my laptop and the same scoring software that was used at rtl13,
if you're interested.

Finally, an odd thing happened when I printed out the rules page on my ink jet
printer.  Near the top of the first page, there is some text that looks like a
background, and says "rtlToronto/Train4..." with some other stuff.  I'm sure
it's a product of re-using the same base page, but I didn't see it on-screen.

Anyway, everything looks good to me.  Nice job

Steve