 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7624
Re: [rtlToronto] BrickFest Pipe Racers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:43:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Doug Carlson wrote:
I tossed up a reference page of several plastic pipe components available at
Home Depot (Woodbury, MN) for Pipe Racer comparison purposes.

http://www.visi.com/~dc/abs/plastic_pipe.htm

I'm hoping the 'C5806' 45 degree elbow that was available here is similar
to the 'C5806SR' version you have.

Wow!  Now that's dedication!  Unfortunately the C5806SR is not the C5806.  The
SR must be "small radius" or something, because it's a lot tighter of a turn.  I
have put up a picture on the website.

Is the SR available in Minnesota?  Steve, do you have something similar?

(I've also patched the train4 problem.  Frickin Dreamweaver)

-- Doug (Who's planning to attend Brickfest and would very much enjoy
participating in this event)

This is great news-between you, Steve and Dave Schilling who emailed me
directly, there's some good interest brewing.  Here's some questions from Dave:

Sounds like a cool contest. The rules seem to suggest that nothing will be
holding the pipes up but a bit of glue. That's good, because I think a lot of
robots will end up surrounding the pipe completely. But if the track is too
long, and a robot too heavy, it might cause problems. You might want to
consider putting a weight limit on robots.

We're going to try out building a full track with a bit of glue this week or
next to address this issue.  We've already tried to pressure fit a full track
assembly without glue and it didn't work very well.  We have photos if anyone
wants to see several Canadians futzing with plastic pipe on a lawn. :)

If the track is really that unstable (we've also considered drilling holes and
bolting (not enough flexibility), tape  in the joints (not strong enough),
microphone stands (requires traversing Y joints), 4" clear PVC (too expensive),
having stands at periodic intervals (too confusing and cumbersome).

We'll give the various combinations a try soon.

Also, the pictures of the sample track are symmetric, but the description
doesn't say that this has to be the case. If it does, then you should
recommend that people bringing pipe always bring two symmetric pieces as well,
so that you can make a track like that.

Thanks--I have changed the description to mention the tracks will be symmetric.
With enough people, we should have enough pipe to be able to build a relatively
large track.  Actually, we will probably have enough track here in Toronto
already-we bought something like 48 feet two weekends ago :)

Calum