 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4361
Re: rtlToronto11 Event Rules Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 13:18:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ka-On Lee writes:
So I can start the bot anywhere on my island, right?  I think the potential
issue would be if player A want to position his bot to block the bridge of the
other bot, and player B does not want that.  We are stuck if they can't agree.
The game would most likely ended with a draw with both bot bridge or jump into
each other and got knocked into the gap, but if a player is leading in points
he may want that.

Okay, so I just got off the phone with Chris about this-what if we scratch
the any starting position and make it that everyone has to start in the
bottom right corner of their island (ie, an 18 inch corner)

Also what if the bot kicked the target flag off the table before picking it up?
Default lost?  We can't have a default win if the bot kicked the flag off it's
starting table, otherwise it don't need to cross the table to win.

Yeah, that's something I don't think anyone thought out completely and it's
a good idea we caught this now.  I'm okay with default loss, though it means
now you also have to watch out for the other guy's flag.

It  could also be argued that this is a strategy.  Smack the crap out of the
the other player's flag, then take your time getting over and finding your
own flag.  I guess the possibility of both people doing this makes for some
degree of detente.

We may also need special score rules for bots that do not survive the fall, and
are abstain from subsequence matches.

Yeah, you know, that might be a problem, because people will be busy
rebuilding and might not be ready for a match.  I'd like to try and reduce
that as much as possible for rtl11.

I'm also going to suggest the Chris Magno 1998 Drop Test:  Take your robot
and drop it from three feet to the ground.  If it doesn't stay together, you
need to redesign.  (Back in rtl3, Chris proudly demonstrated this
robustness, and the robot promptly broke when it hit the ground)

I would like to suggest an alternate version of this game:
Only one flag on table B.  Both bots start from table A, and the one pick up
the flag first win.  This way we will have some actions, and some bots may got
knocked off the table by the other one.  I bet people would love to see that.
;)  If we got too many bots again we can start with 3 bots on table A.

Maybe like a first the flag game-I like this idea, especially Trevyn's three
table suggestion.  Anyone want to change it?  Chris?

Calum

3 feet and not break???  I mean I build these great 'bots that'll put up
with alot, but 3 feet?  if it fell straight down that's one thing, but if it
turned over in the air, or hit on a corner, there'll be Runamok 'bot pieces
*everywhere* (looking remarkably like a Derek train module, but we won't
mention who let that one fall and still feels guilty about it)

I like the idea of 3 tables, 1 flag on the center table.  This way, more
action, and you could have 2 or 4 robots going at the same time.

(and >=1 RCX's!!!) :P

Chris, stop overclocking your CPU!!  It'll only end in disaster.  If you
want a faster CPU, sell more LEGO, go buy a faster CPU and drop it in.

Dave
-who in his history of tech support, has never fiddled with overclocking CPUs