 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3868
Re: 110 VAC powered lego motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 15:32:07 GMT

"Chris Magno" <cmagno@rogers.com> wrote in message

this is a nice idea, BUT the library is only so long. and... we would
have to find a smooth flat surface for that entire distance.   at best
it might be 3 tables with a bit of tape to join the seams.

would you recommend walls along the sides??

NO! No walls. :)

Okay. 3 tables of very close heightnessey. Duct tape across the seams (or
some coloured tape with equiv. light sensor values. Oh no! My phone is
ringing.). 200 mm from the end, stripe of electrical tape (19 mm width or
whatever it comes in... is it 25 mm?). Starting position is COMPLETLY
RANDOMLY SELECTED by a kid from the crowd.

"I want them to start um..... HERE!" ::child points to the ceeling::

I'm loving this. I'm really, really, loving this. Because okay. Now you have
to figure out, "hello self, what is the maximum speed I can make my robot
crank at, and NOT fly off the edge at with a given stopping distance?"
Because our start point is variable, again, you can't program it to go a
distance and start to slow down before the stripe.

Questions for everyone:

1) Who's interested in this?
2) How do we score? First person across the line without going off the edge?
I think that's probably the best way to do it. Do we factor in distance from
the edge or what not? I think that sort of becomes irrelevant, speed is the
primary focus (because your ultimate top speed is limited by how quickly you
can brake).
3) Do we limit the number of RCX's and battery boxes and what not, or let it
go all out? I'm *kind of* leaning toward limiting, because you just know
someone's going to come up with a 27-volt seriesd batteryboxed monster :)
4) If we do this, do we run this as a tandem event (ala sumo/blockstacking
events)? I can't remember if we decided last time that was a bad idea or
not.

    Iain