 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3817
Re: 110 VAC powered lego motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 00:09:14 GMT

Wall current is not the same everywhere. It is not even always the same
over time. I measured my wall voltage once, and it was 117. Now it's
120. Most wall wart adapters drop the voltage by a specific amount, so
if the designers of a 9v adapter were assuming a 117 volt input, and you
have a 120 volt input, you may get 12 volts out of the adapter.

If you are putting 12v in to the RCX, the motors will be running on 12v.

Note that my values are almost certainly off, but they serve to
demonstrate my point.

Btw, about the 7803 that you wanted, you might try asking for a sample
from the company that you found, and they will send you some.

Chris Magno wrote:

in some other thread, Mathias said:

since the
motor power is unregulated in the RCX, is a function RCX input
voltage, which, in turn, is a function of Hydro line voltage.

I don't follow this.

if 110 VAC (or some amount) goes in, it drops down to 9 (ish)  i know
for a fact that the RCX does not have a transformer, so the regulation
has to be solid state.....

ergo, somewhere in the brick, there has to be 9vdc

even if the motor outs was unregulated, it would still (logically) run
off the 9vdc.

what am i missing?

Chris
Pretend I learned all my electronic smarts from that green radio shack
book by Forrest M Mimms III