 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3865
Re: 110 VAC powered lego motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 06:32:06 GMT

"David Schilling" <davidNO@SPAMsunteleia.com> wrote in message

Just a note about dragsters, having done them recently in SMART: I would
recommend a very long track, and a very short stopping zone.  EG: Track: • 20
meters, and stopping zone: 20 cm, or perhaps even 10 cm.  This definitely
wouldn't be a 'night or two' robot!  And personally I really like the
'falling off the edge' idea.  It gives a real sense of drama to it!  How
fast can you race to the precipice?  Put a pillow down there to save the
robots if you want, but having the threat so real will not only be fun to
watch, but will give everyone a tremendous amount of motivation to • actually
stop!

David,

I agree with you completly! I love the idea of having a long runway with
very short stoping zone followed by a cliff. Originally, I had been thinking
about the "end" being a wall. But going off the table is much cooler.

To add extra fun to this, I'd like to see the stoping distance remain fixed
and known (ie, distance between "stop line" and "cliff of death" being like,
20 cm), BUT, have the starting position UN KNOWN. This prevents people from
building robots that start to slow down before they hit that line.

Geting a robot to go VERY VERY FAST and then stop very very fast is very
very tricky very very!

    Iain