 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3173
Re: Project X and game play
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 02:46:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
"David Schilling" <davidNO@SPAMsunteleia.com> wrote in message

I suggest that someone come up with twenty starting configurations, as a
start.  After the official competition is held, there's still plenty of • time
to go around looking in minute detail at how each one does it's thing.

Wait, 20 starting configurations? Do you mean random patterns?

I thought we decided we were having one pattern that would be run throughout
the day, generated once randomly in the morning?

The way that is currently stated on the page is:

-A set of Starting Patterns is chosen somehow (submissions in a hat, random,
whatever).
-Each round, everyone runs the same Starting Pattern. ie, if the first
Starting Pattern of the day is a O, then everyone runs the O.
-Of course, everyone, everytime is trying to recreate the Target Pattern,
aka the GreatX, hence the name ProjectX.

I think the question for debate is if everyone should run the given pattern
for the round simultaneously or in pairs, or whatever.

But then there is another possibility which is not to have rounds, but
playoffs.  Or pairs.  I dunno.  I think there's a benefit to having everyone
run the same pattern at the same time, which is to see how each piece of
hardware and software attacks the problem.  They don't necessarily all have
to run simultaneously (maybe five robots at a time, then the next five
robots) but they should all run the same problem Starting Pattern in
sequence, ie, everyone finishes Pattern 1 then, we all move to Pattern 2.

Calum