 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15809
Re: Gear lash.... & casters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:02:53 GMT

   In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:
   BTW: I hav abandoned my bot due to differential drive gear lash and castors...a small memorial gallery is here: http://ffaat.pointclark.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=RTL20

If I may comment on the castor issue.

1. Never put rubber tires on casters. 2. Use that funny boat hull piece as a caster whenever possible 3. Never put rubber tires on casters.

The hole issue with casters messing up your direction control revolves around them having too much grip. If they can slip into alinement, then they won’t knock your robot out of alinement.

I’ve been reading this, trying to figure out what you guys are complaining about. I use casters all the time. Often I’ll change the caster design to adjust how the robot acts.

The caster Rob used here is a problem because the double-rubber-wheel design will resist changes in direction (if it’s turning, it will keep turning)

http://ffaat.pointclark.net/gallery/viewphoto.php?setalbumName=RTL20&id=IMG1164

A VERY simple change would be to remove one wheel (from each caster), and replace the #3 axle with an axle-pin. I suspect that would cut down the “drunken sailer” problem a huge amount, and make the design workable.

Going with the 4-wheel a/b drive will still have some unpredicitable turning (as some of the tires slide) and the skid-plate will slow the robot down.

To improve turning on both these, try to keep the bulk of the weight over one set of drive wheels.

Steve