 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15794
Re: Gear lash....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:37:53 GMT

David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Wayne Young wrote:

<snip>

Are you thinking the robot could adjust its direction on the fly? In my limited
experience, precision matters when the robot is close to the TO, especially if
it can cover a lot of ground in the time it takes for the sensors to come back
with a reading (or to average a series of readings in my case).

Since I'm taking the time to delurk, I'd like to give a shout out to David K. I
abandoned my previous 'bot platform (AB with castors), in favour of Dave's AB
skid steer with 4 driven wheels and 4 motors after reading his posts. The
castors were throwing off my aim and it was making me wonder if my software was
faulty. There's only one light sensor and the algorithm was stop, scan, drive.
If the 'bot doesn't drive towards the light with the new platform, I know it's
the software, instead of trying to factor out the castors.

Yeah, castors are harsh.  I tried a nice little 2 wheeled beast with castors,
thinking that I'd save room in the 'bot, but the castors threw the 'bot off so
much, especially right after a turn.

Thanks for the shout-out, Wayne!

Dave K
Hear hear on that.  Castors are evil.  If you rotate and get lined up
then drive forward, the castors will twist just enough to pull you off line.

...that could be contributing to the drunken lurching effect...

I might have to try 4 wheel skid steer with the differential drive
before converting to A/B...