 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15781
Re: Gear lash....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:26:08 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:
Well, it looks like in the 11th hour I'm going to have to abandon my
differential drive for Project Y....there is WAY too much play in the
differential gear train, which makes tracking the light with the whole
bot virtually impossible...

As my S.O. loving puts it... "it lurches around like it's drunk!"

Guess tonight I'll gut it and replace it with a boring old A/B drive.
Good thing I coded so all I should have to change is some drive declares
and some tuning parameters :)

GRRRR.

If that doesn't work it might be time for a last minute rebuild (nothing
like a cram session).

-Rob A>

I found with my trial adder/subtractor that the play in the gearing was just
unreasonable--sure, when the 'bot travels a bit in one direction it's straight,
but that initial few inches--not so much.

no worries about hte AB--I didn't go with synchro, didn't go with add/subtract,
didnt' go with tank treads even... just standard AB... in both 'bots.

So you won't be alone...

Dave K
-who now has to program all night...