 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15793
Re: Gear lash....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:32:14 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:
Well, it looks like in the 11th hour I'm going to have to abandon my
differential drive for Project Y....there is WAY too much play in the
differential gear train, which makes tracking the light with the whole
bot virtually impossible...

Can I ask a stupid question from a non-moving bot owner?  Why do you need that
much precision?  The light readings are going to be pretty variable, and the
robot targets and obstacles are all moving, so do you really need that much
precision to know the general direction you need to be going in?

Calum

'Cause in my (maybe no so) brilliant design I have a "probe" that is
tied back to a touch sensor that needs to be inserted into the transfer
opening.  If the probe hits a wall/another bot, etc. then it will back
off assuming it was a bad light track.

The problem is that the differential gear train has so much play in it I
can grab the bot by hand and rotate it from side to side PAST the
transfer opening without turning the motors.  This means I can't
accurately use a light to guide the probe in the hole.

I was trying to use a basic line follower algorithm to track a dynamic
threshold value...but the physical build is less accurate than the light
sensor.  i.e. by the time I see the threshold cross and reverse
direction, the bot "coasts" right past the T.O.

-Rob A>