 Organizations / Australia / 1168
1167  |  1169
Subject:
Scaling CVEs (was Re: 2879 Bi-planes and dingies)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.au
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 07:34:04 GMT

In lugnet.org.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Being at work and hence without my aircraft carrier in front of me ...
What ratio will that be to the standard MB aircraft carrier?

Dunno, I scale more by eye than calipers.  The flight deck is wide enough to
get two of the planes (discussed elsewhere) side by side, matching what I
see in WWII pics.  I'm using all four of the MB carriers to hand for the
flightdeck.  Working out the height is about proportions to the flight deck,
allowing for a hangar deck into which I can fit planes, and allowing for the
gangways that run along parts of the perimeter of the flight deck.  The
island is again about proportion and allowing for the number of decks
apparent in photos (3 - 4).

Having said that, if the flight deck on a Casablanca class CVE was around
498ft long, the scale would be about 1:100, which would make a minifig 4m high.

Maybe when I finish it, I'll tear is apart, buy another four MB carriers,
and build it again.

But, not with this month's pocket money I think.

Richard
Still baldly building something very very big...