 Off-Topic / Geek / 3822
Re: Trusted Users (was Re: Geekshelf Question - Vehicle Question)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:44:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Chris Maddison writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Kevin Loch writes:

<snip>

Kevin, while I understand why the moderation takes place, and can imagine
how frustrating it is to you

Ditto

, let me reiterate points that John Barnes and
Lar (among others?) raised.  I would imagine a great amount of workload
would be taken off your shoulders if you established "trusted users."
People from the community that, quite simply, can be trusted.

I would imagine this wouldn't be a huge amount of the members (especially
because of all the BionicleZone users, but that's another can of worms), but
it may be significant.  Obviously, I would hope that I would be one of these
trusted users.  I guess the best way would be for you (and the moderators?)
to decide amongst yourselves who these individuals would be, and allow them
non-moderated uploads.  Or allow that someone become trusted after a certain
time period in which no problems had occured, etc.

Forgive me if I stray into the fantastic side of things for a minute - I'm
not a computer buff.

How about cross referencing Brickshelf and Lugnet so that those with Lugnet
memberships are trusted users? That would bring in some certainty of the
users content stability, since Lugnet members have to shell out money for
their membership. That and you know that it would generally be "on topic".
To go one step further would be to have a "premier" Brickshelf membership
where users pay a small fee to have their content unmoderated, or at least
given "benefit of the doubt" status where it can be immediatly viewed and
moderated later.

Membership can always be revoked if the TOS are breached.

-Duane
$0.02

Of course, I have no idea of what kind or how much coding a step like this
would take.

On behalf of most of Lugnet, (I'm assuming here, don't shoot me) I sincerely
hope that this is taken into consideration.

-Chris Maddison