 Off-Topic / Geek / 3821
3820  |  3822
Subject:
Trusted Users (was Re: Geekshelf Question - Vehicle Question)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:26:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Kevin Loch writes:

<snippage>

I have not seen an adequate
description of what happened to provoke this and/or what the new policy
is.

I thought this had been covered before in enough detail, but here's a recap:

Brickshelf is visited by alot of kids, as well as adults.  Because of the
possibility that "unsafe" content could be uploaded, pre-moderation is
necessary.  This had been planned for a long time, but due to the significant
internal code changes it would require, had been delayed.  Recent events
moved it to a top, essential priority, and it was implemented.

Kevin, while I understand why the moderation takes place, and can imagine
how frustrating it is to you, let me reiterate points that John Barnes and
Lar (among others?) raised.  I would imagine a great amount of workload
would be taken off your shoulders if you established "trusted users."
People from the community that, quite simply, can be trusted.

I would imagine this wouldn't be a huge amount of the members (especially
because of all the BionicleZone users, but that's another can of worms), but
it may be significant.  Obviously, I would hope that I would be one of these
trusted users.  I guess the best way would be for you (and the moderators?)
to decide amongst yourselves who these individuals would be, and allow them
non-moderated uploads.  Or allow that someone become trusted after a certain
time period in which no problems had occured, etc.

Of course, I have no idea of what kind or how much coding a step like this
would take.

On behalf of most of Lugnet, (I'm assuming here, don't shoot me) I sincerely
hope that this is taken into consideration.

-Chris Maddison