 Off-Topic / Geek / 3817
Re: Geekshelf Question - Vehicle Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 20:04:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Scott E. Sanburn writes:

Are the vehicles geeky or are they just pictures of random cars?  Does
the picture provide some expression of the geek lifestyle or is it just
a picture of a car?  Try using folder names and descriptions to clarify
the significance of ordinary looking things (I'm not saying your cars
are ordinary, since I don't remember the specific folder in question).

Are cars ok?  Sure, as long as they are geek-related.

I think that what Scott was trying to express is that to some people, cars
are inherently geeky; in North America especially.  There's lots and lots of
people who obsess and geek out about cars, but it's not often refered to
that way because cars are an "acceptable" subject of geekery to the general
culture.

Well put. I think cars can be geeky even if you haven't done unusual things
to them. (like some of the tricked out Audis on that one page are) I once
had 8 cars under my control (7 that I had title to and one that I just had
custody of) but I've cut back a lot.

I'd say my Stratus is geeky.

I special ordered it with the top trim level, but the base engine (as that
was the only way to get a 5 speed manual, all the other engines came only
with automatics) and with JUST a CD player and an engine block heater as the
only ordered accessories.

We ran a search across that model year (I was at Chrysler on a project at
the time), that was the only Stratus built that year with that particular
combination of accessories, regardless of color. So it's a unique car... who
in their right mind would get the high trim line with no accessories except
those two???

Just KNOWING that about the car makes that car geeky, I would argue. And
makes me a car geek, at least a little, for caring enough to have someone
find out for me.

Now, does that mean I should take a pic of it? I dunno.

But Scott's cars are geeky. He has a thing for big trucks and SUVs because
he likes to haul stuff.

Net net here is that more guidance is needed. Marking things off topic is
one thing, deleting them quite another. Some more firm guidelines should be
given to the moderators to help them make the decisions more automatic and
more repeatable. Right now the process isn't even CMM level 1. (and if you
know what that means you're a software geek!)