 Off-Topic / Geek / 2991
Re: Alien and gravity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:31:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
David M. <Electrotx@webtv.net> wrote:
I've read Jurassic Park, does that count?

No, 'cause that book is actually good. (And would have made a good movie,
too. Shame.)

  I think I had a different edition, because the one I read was pretty much the
standard "wait-for-the-monster-to-escape-and-then-run-from-it."  It was more
deeply developed than the film, but it was still only so-so.
  As much as I enjoyed Jeff Goldblum (and why, by the way, did he live through
the film?), it simply makes no sense to me to get the most flamboyant and
unorthodox mathematician ('scuse me, chaotician) to be your advisor, and then
ignore him.  His presence seems like little more than an attempt by Crichton to
incorporate the "new" science of Chaos Theory into his book.  From a character
standpoint, Malcolm's presence does create some low-key romantic tension re:
the Laura Dern character, but this is resolved in grand George Lucas style by
utterly removing one of the legs of the love triangle. Killing Malcolm, rather
than requiring any sort of sophisticated character interaction, keeps this book
firmly in the Crichton tradition of plot plot plot.  Entertaining, to an
undemanding audience (as many of us, myself included, become when we go to the
movies), but it doesn't stand up to serious reflection after the fact.

  Dave