 Off-Topic / Geek / 2944
Re: Alien and gravity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:15:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
I'm watching the movie "Alien".  Why is there gravity on board the ship?
It does not rotate to generate "artificial gravity", and there are no
large planets around.  Ok, so they do operate in a solar system, but
they're not that close to a planet.

Wouldn't you want to enjoy gravity if you were traveling in space for months at
a time?

And why does the ship have a cool name like "Nostromo"?  I mean, come
on, this is a commercial towing vehicle, right?  So it should have a
"blunt" name like "Bertha" or "Big Boy" or something like that.

Perhaps Nostromo is sufficiently blunt 400 years in the future.  Even wrecker
drivers take pride in their rigs - and no wonder!  Drivers have to pay about
$20K per year in insurance alone.  I've seen plenty of wreckers that have
personal touches painted on their "hulls."

Oh, and I like the green text terminals and the computer room with
randomly flashing lights.  It's so futuristic!

It came out more than 20 years ago!  Whaddaya expect?

It's a great movie, though.

I agree.  IMO, next to SW:ANH, its the best science fiction movie.

james