 Off-Topic / Geek / 2946
Re: Alien and gravity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:21:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
I'm watching the movie "Alien".  Why is there gravity on board the ship?
It does not rotate to generate "artificial gravity", and there are no
large planets around.  Ok, so they do operate in a solar system, but
they're not that close to a planet.

  The ship and crew are full of gravity throughout the movie; it's a grave
situation.  (I apologize.)

It's a great movie, though.

  I just saw Aliens again this weekend, and I have another question.  Why
does a ship the size of New Jersey (or whatever its size--it's really big,
though) only hold a staff of a dozen marines?  Much of the motivation for
putting people in hypersleep is to save life support (and boredom, of
course), so what's the rest of the ship for?  It's a battleship, I imagine,
so it could house massive weapons and propulsion systems, but these weren't
needed (and, I would suggest, there was no clear reason to think they
*might* have been needed, since there was no indication of an invading,
largescale alien force, or they would have sent more than a dozen grunts!)
  Dramatically, the reason there are only a dozen soldiers is so that they
can be presented with the "who'll pilot the second drop ship" conundrum, but
even this doesn't explain the huge ship.  Why not send a smaller, faster
vessel, on which you could still stock sufficient weaponry?
  For that matter, could Ripley really have climbed the airlock ladder
against those full gale force winds?  Why not close the outer hatch from
within the airlock, using the same switch with which she'd opened it?
  One other neat thing is my observation that James Cameron (along with
David Lynch and the criminally over-hyped director Tim Burton) is thoroughly
nepotistic in his casting; has Cameron made *any* movies that didn't feature
Bill Paxton and  Michael Biehn (and the woman who played Vasquez and John
Connor's adoptive mother and the anonymous Irish Immigrant in Titanic?!)
Nothing wrong with sticking with your casting choices, but I'm always amused
to see where these actors turn up!
  These are nitpicks, since I love the film (actually, I like all of them
but the painfully disappointing Resurrection).  Still, the little details
stick in my mind every time I see it...

     Dave!