 Off-Topic / Geek / 2959
Re: Alien and gravity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:10:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mark Sandlin writes:
Dave Schuler at orrex@excite.com wrote:

I just saw Aliens again this weekend, and I have another question.  Why
does a ship the size of New Jersey (or whatever its size--it's really big,
though) only hold a staff of a dozen marines?

The Sulaco was sent out on a special mission. Quite a lot of the ship was
unused at the time.

I typed up a big ol' blurb about it here:

http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=5041

Yikes!  Looks like I asked the right guy.  But can we agree that they only
sent a dozen troops solely for the purpose of increased dramatic tension?

Yah, but the fun part is figuring out a reasonable "in-character" reason for
only sending 12 guys. :)

I got an impression of the CM that's a little bit like fire fighters are
today... a lot of training, and a lot of specialized equipment, and 9 times
out of 10, you don't need any of it.  But when you do need it, you *need* it.

I apply that 95% rule (send everything that might be needed for 95% of what
we do) to it, and figure that it applies to the people as well.  Consider
that you're taking any manpower you send *completely* out of ciculation for
the flight + mission time, you want to minimize the people needed on any
given crew.  If their number crunchers have determined that 1 marine squad
meets the 95% rule, well, that's what you get.  12 marines and a big 'ol
empty death machine.

James
Geeking about pretend stuff is often more fun than geeking about real stuff. :)