 Off-Topic / Geek / 2980
Re: Alien and gravity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:13:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, James Simpson writes:

If I may stray into the topic of Alien IV, I've always found it ironically
amusing that the crew remarked how beautiful Earth is as they entered the
atmosphere shortly after the mothership took out all of southern Africa.  The
crew seemed to be pretty unconcerned about the several hundred million people
that no doubt lay in smoldering heaps in their ruined cities.  Not all that
beautiful.  Anyway, just a nitpick...it's just always struck me as somehow
incongruous and disturbing that the movie ended with the ship flying through a
beautiful sunset (on the suprise! not so shabby-after-all Earth) while probably
the worst human tragedy in history just occured.  I realize the crew didn't
cause the disaster... but the ending of the movie has just really stuck in my
mind.

james

Can't say that I disagree.  "Oh, geez, we just laid waste to half the planet
- kinda, pretty, though, ain't it?"  StOOpid.

Yep.  Makes me wonder what kind of welcome they received upon landing.  What
kind of welcome would you get?

"Hi! Errr...the out-of-control capital-class starship you ditched somewhere this
side of Mars just slammed into Africa, thereby obliterating all trace of life
within a 700-mile radius, puncturing the mantle and causing violent crustal
displacements along both existing and newly-created fault zones, leading to
violent tidal waves that decimated 65% of our coastal cities...but welcome to
Earth!, home of 16, no wait, make that 12 billion people!"

james