 Off-Topic / Geek / 2824
2823  |  2825
Subject:
Titanium PowerBook (was: Re: What if Steve Jobs ran The LEGO Company?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 04:04:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, "Erik Olson" <olsone@spamcop.net> writes:
I'm going to hold off until a 400 mhz model comes in. Ooh...

Whoops. My dealer (DataVision) called. Scott only needed 3 words: "I want it!"

Scott from Datavision called again today!

"Everything ok there? I just received 4 or 5 of the 400mhz units. You know
anyone waiting for one?"

As a matter of fact, the big boss called me in on Friday to see the little
beauty. "The 500 mhz model, huh?" Yeah, I was flexible. I took whatever came
in first.  "I'm waiting for a 400mhz model with a 30gb hard drive. My
secretary is calling the stores every day to check."

Bing!

Scott said he could put in the 30gb drive. So I went to the boss's
secretary. The boss was out, but she had EXPLICIT directions saying to get
the 500 mhz model.  Alas.

I pondered some kind of trade, but, I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

I heard somewhere (I think it was a discussion group on a Mac fansite) that
the 400 MHz units didn't play DVD's as smoothly as the 500 MHz units.  I
can't remember if that was on battery power or plugged in.

My Vaio C1VN (powered by a 600 MHz Transmeta Crusoe) plays DVD's with an
external drive, but the jerkiness gets a little annoying.  Sometimes it's
super-smooth and other times it's just not.

Something to keep a look out for, if you're into that sort of thing.  But
maybe the price difference between the 500 Mhz and 400 MHz PowerBooks would
buy a whole separate DVD player?  :)

--Todd