 General / 27481
Re: What if Steve Jobs ran The LEGO Company?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 20:31:49 GMT

In article <G892sK.DF2@lugnet.com>, Todd Lehman  <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
What if Steve Jobs ran The LEGO Company?
What would be different?
What would be the same?
What would the software titles be like?
What would the website be like?
What would the idea books be like?
What would the overall product designs be like?
How would the fan community react?
It's fun to imagine...

This is an even more interesting question, because it implies that
Woz designed Lego instead of computers. After all, without Woz,
Steve Jobs is just another drugged-up early '70s hippie. :) (To
be fair, without Jobs, Woz is just another Hewlett-Packard corporate
drone...)

Personally, I think it's fearful to imagine.

One of the things that made Woz and Jobs such a great combination is
that Jobs had what should have been impossible ideas, and Woz had enough
genius to deliver them. Particularly in the early days, Jobs was _out
there_. And I don't think kids really want "new" these days-- they just
want new versions of old. Sure, toy lines turn around yearly these days
with the latest fad or movie, but really, what makes one action figure
different from another from a different genre? It's all the details--
and heck, back a few years ago, there wasn't even that difference
sometimes. Note the same trend in the video game industry; wasn't too
long ago that every Nintrendo game was Super Mario Brothers with
guns.

Jobs, on the other hand, would have some incredibly bizarre ideas, and I
don't know that kids would go for them.

So yeah, I think that it's fun to think of what he would have come up with,
but I'm glad it didn't happen that way, because if it had, we wouldn't be
here right now. Early in the computer industry, a wacko like Jobs was
exactly what we needed, or _all_ the Wozzes of the world would still be
corporate drones and not really doing much innovating. On the other hand,
it took him a decade to figure it out, but even Jobs has settled down.
He now turns his eye towards other bizarre ideas, like turning computers
purple... That Jobs wouldn't be a bad Lego CEO, (though I wonder if his
ideas would meet the same reaction here that SPUDs and Creator figures
do...) but I can't imagine how he'd get here from there.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <