 Off-Topic / Geek / 2637
Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:39:52 GMT

Kevin Loch wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Kevin Loch writes:
The LUGNET News search function is now re-enabled.  I completely revamped
the index data structures and list-merge algorithm and rewrote the core
query engine in C.  It's a much more solid implementation.
All geeks capitulate sooner or later on perl vs C.  Of course
Larry (and many others I work with) would tell you to write that
stuff in Java but that would be a step backwards.

I like Java.  But this really needed to be close to the metal and generate
code that would fit in the L1 cache for the non-memory-bus-bound portions
of the loops.  The GNU C compiler is incredible.

Aah, you definately couldn't have done that in Java.  Of course the ability
to declare a couple register variables helps too.

Of course I've heard of situations where an interpreter outdid hand
crafted assembler. This can occur if the portion of the interpreter
necessary to run your code fits in the code cache and the byte codes fit
in the data cache when the hand crafted assembler code wouldn't fit in
the code cache. If the code is processing a large quantity of data, but
not revisiting the data, the data cache may be irrelevant for the
processed data (there can even be a little bit of references if they are
still relatively local - for example if you were doing some kind of
vector computation where res[i] = f(data[i], data[i+1])).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com