 Administrative / General / 8623
Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 04:17:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Jezek writes:
The LUGNET News search function is now re-enabled.  I completely revamped
the index data structures and list-merge algorithm and rewrote the core
query engine in C.  It's a much more solid implementation.

Very good!  Although the new search doesn't return most recent articles
first like it used to.  Is that how it should work?
For now, if you don't mind URL mucking, you can manually append

  &qs=<number>

to the URL and it will use that number (in seconds) as a time delta.  For
example, to limit posts to the last 10 days, use

  &qs=864000

It works great! ... but the &qs doesn't carry over to the next page of
results.  So if I want to see more pages, I have to edit the querystring on
each page.  Since you already have the inner workings of this in place, it
would be really easy to just add a textbox named "qs" and add the &qs= to
the bottom "5 more, 10 more"... links.  With a little more effort, you could
include radio buttons to have the user select how many days, months or years
they want to go back and have your search engine convert it to milliseconds
depending on what the user selects.

It's actually in the nature of search engines to generate thousands of
results.

If given thousands of results, most search engines have some advanced
options like sorting.

What's more important is the first page returned -- i.e., the ranking.
Typically one doesn't dig down past the first few, so you rarely
actually go visit all the thousands.

I'd be interested in seeing some statistics on how far the average user goes
when given back let's say 10, 100 and 1,000 pages of results.  It would help
in the design of an effective search engine.