 Administrative / General / 8622
Re: Article bit-flags (was: Re: News search function reactivated)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 04:03:46 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Oh, one other thing...planning ahead:

Another potential application of article bit-flags is read/unread lists on a
person-by-person basis via the web interface.  I know this is something that
people have been asking for for a long time.  When updating a flag, it would
be as simple as a single disk read/write to change a single bit.  And when
mass-article filtering, it would simply load into memory as a memory-mapped
file and would be extremely efficient in terms of both space and speed.  It
would even be easy to make customized message folders and move messages
between them, delete messages, mark unread, etc.

Would you like to be able to say, "search for 'blah blah blah' within my
'cool models' folder"?

Ooh ooh ooh... One thing I really really want is to be able to put
messages into folders (if anyone knows of a decent newsreader which
allows such - please let me know - it would be preferable that it do so
without requiring me to store the message).

Frank