 Administrative / General / 8477
Re: News search function temporarily disabled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 01:56:53 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Toki Barron writes:
Hi Todd,
Did you ever consider a google search box?  Like this one:
www.sis.pitt.edu/~dist

That's an intriguing thought.  It looks like it requires Google to be able
to crawl a site completely, though.  I wonder if they play well with
dynamically generated content...

I've had nothing but problems with www.hort.net/gallery/, which is all
dynamically generated.  Every month at about the same time we disappear
entirely out of Google's search engine, which they claim is due to updates.
Although it usually only lasts a couple of days, the last one has lasted
about six weeks.  They can't seem to explain why it happens, either.

Anyhow, I guess my point is that I don't find them to be particularly
reliable.

Chris