 Administrative / General / 8500
Re: News search function temporarily disabled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 03:44:47 GMT

Breaking that bottleneck has about as much to do with style sheets as
a floormat has to do with salad dressing.

No need to get snippy.

I'm sorry.  I know.  You're right.

It just always happens.  Someone says something vague, someone else guesses
something about it, someone else adds another guess, someone else adds another
guess, and before you know it, everything's way off track.  I hate it when
that happens and I don't have time to jump and respond in until it's too late.

We're just trying to help.

Welp...don't take this the wrong way, but my post earlier was simply to give
an update.  It lacked detail because I wasn't asking for help.  If someone
was here FTF and we had a whiteboard and lots of time to talk and stuff, that
would totally rock, but a news discussion filled with speculations is just a
distraction for me.  (Please don't take that the wrong way.  I appreciate the
kind thoughts and attempts at helping, but they don't always help.)

I feel like I've got a solid handle on most of the bottleneck issues.  They
mostly are SMOPs at this point.  I may need to begin using mod_perl or
FastCGI or a restructure portions using set of custom back-end special-
purpose HTTP servers proxied on the localhost to really eke out the last
drops, but big gains can be had with other more immediate simplifications.

We don't have access to the source or even the design documentation so all
we can do is speculate based on what you say, and if our speculation is wide
of the mark, so be it.  It's not our fault.

No, it isn't your fault.  I just got disgruntled because the discussion
was getting into issues that are great for the .publish group but no longer
have anything to do with actual CPU efficiency (which was the issue).

--Todd