 Off-Topic / Geek / 2634
Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 20:41:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Kevin Loch writes:
The LUGNET News search function is now re-enabled.  I completely revamped
the index data structures and list-merge algorithm and rewrote the core
query engine in C.  It's a much more solid implementation.
All geeks capitulate sooner or later on perl vs C.  Of course
Larry (and many others I work with) would tell you to write that
stuff in Java but that would be a step backwards.

I like Java.  But this really needed to be close to the metal and generate
code that would fit in the L1 cache for the non-memory-bus-bound portions
of the loops.  The GNU C compiler is incredible.

Aah, you definately couldn't have done that in Java.  Of course the ability
to declare a couple register variables helps too.

KL