 Administrative / General / 8498
Re: News search function temporarily disabled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:44:26 GMT

I think it's more of a problem of having to have the page in memory (all
300k of it) while a slow client downloads it.  Nothing much to do about
that except make the page smaller - perhaps move all the FONT FACE entries
to an all encompassing FONT tag - that should reduce the page size by about
10% or so...

What about using a style sheet? Would that help? I admit that I am not sure
exactly what level of browser for the big two correctly supports style
sheets (I ought to know this since I have been using them a lot in recent
web development projects)...

Yikes!

Holy speculation, Batman!

Thanks, but no thanks!  Guys, this is nice and all, but you're guessing way
off in left field.  On the pages I was talking about, the actual webpage is
not held in memory -- ever -- it's written directly to a buffered, blocking
I/O socket as soon as it's generated.  It's not stored anywhere on the server
-- not on disk, not in memory, even temporarily.  What I was referring to that
was being held in memory for 200 seconds was some non-HTML data structures.
Their size isn't an insane size, but an uncomfortable and somewhat wasteful
size.  Breaking that bottleneck has about as much to do with style sheets as
a floormat has to do with salad dressing.

--Todd