 Administrative / General / 8616
Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:07:34 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
I know what you mean, though, about being able to restrict a search to
_specifically_ some exact subject or author.  I'll think about how I might
be able to handle this in the future -- it would be a separate index database
for each of the two fields.

Do you index the name in "X-real-life-name"?

One thought, index the special strings "from:" and "subject:". The the
search:

   from: ffilz

Should rank my posts highly due to proximity. Of course it would be
better to index the real life name as if it was preceded by from: also
so that you could search:

   from: filz

and find my posts.

--