 Administrative / General / 8502
Re: News search function temporarily disabled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:08:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Sorry for having contributed to wasted bandwidth, though I do hope you
will give some thought to the ideas of splitting up the members list as
I had suggested,

Yes, definitely!  And the flags can link to country pages that list just the
people in the country.

and some kind of "recentness" limit to the search,
though I realize that the underlying data structure may not result in
those operations saving CPU time (and could possibly be more time
consuming depending on implementation), I just feel they would be useful
features for us the users.

It actually won't incur extra overhead (amazingly, it will actually reduce
overhead) to restrict things to hard or soft time ranges, so I'm going ahead
with this:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=2701

because it's an excellent opportunity to take that step.  The guts have been
there since August, 1999 -- it just needs to be passed a pair of time range
parameters, which means making an advanced search page with some widgets for
selecting times.

There may also be an implicit improvement in word proximity matching (it will
automatically favor close-proximity multiword matches over disparate-proximity
multiword matches).  Although I don't forsee adding anything anytime soon as
rigorous as a "this exact string" sort of thing, proximity matching comes
pretty darn close to that in pratice.  (LUGNET's news search engine had this
up until August of 1999.  Unfortunately, it used a lot of memory, and I
removed it while applying other improvements at that time.  I believe I'll be
able to add it back in without incurring a large memory or CPU time penalty if
I interleave the multiword results carefully.)

--Todd