 Off-Topic / Geek / 2640
Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 23:18:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Kevin Loch writes:
I like Java.  But this really needed to be close to the metal and generate
code that would fit in the L1 cache for the non-memory-bus-bound portions
of the loops.  The GNU C compiler is incredible.
Aah, you definately couldn't have done that in Java.

I probably couldn't, no, but a very experienced Java programmer and a good
JVM machine could conceivably do better than C.  (It's not unheard of for
Java to be faster than C for certain types of things.)  The big hits would
probably be the JVM environment startup and the array boundary checking.
Anyway, ya, I wouldn't wanna try this sort of thing in Java...I'm much more
comfortable with C when it comes to this sort of metal grinding.  :-)

Of course the ability to declare a couple register variables helps too.

Well, any good C compiler these days actually ignores the 'register' keyword.
(Right?)  The compiler does a better job of register allocation than a human
does (when it comes to assigning C variables to registers), especially on
modern superscalar pipelined CPU architectures.

--Todd