 Administrative / General / 8613
Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:29:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Eaton writes:
Could I suggest some amendments to the "To do someday" list (for an

Sure!

- Search by author
- Search by subject line contents

These are mostly covered already due to the way the indexing works -- words
closer to the beginning of a document are given higher weights than words
occurring later in a document.  When the indexer chews on a news article,
it first grabs the 'From:' line and then the 'Subject:' line, and finally
the body.  Somewhere in there, it also grabs the 'Keywords:' and 'Summary:'
headers, if present.

I know what you mean, though, about being able to restrict a search to
_specifically_ some exact subject or author.  I'll think about how I might
be able to handle this in the future -- it would be a separate index database
for each of the two fields.

Maybe you'll later be able to make search queries like this...

   [medieval brikwars] (david eaton) tan baseplates

...which might mean "among articles with subjects matching 'medieval
brickwars', find articles posted by names matching 'david eaton', and
within those, find articles matching 'tan baseplates' in the body.

Is that the sort of functionality you're looking for?

- And of course search by quoted string (i.e. +quack +"foo bar")

This is also largely covered already by word-proximity sensitivity and
word-order sensitivity -- although I definitely agree that it would be
nice for super-refined searches.  I'll think more about it.  I think I
know now of a way to do the "" thing efficiently.  (I didn't months ago.)

- Search by date range (or open-ended-- i.e. after date X or before date X)

OK, I just put this in during lunch...try it out...  It's not a specific
date, but relative dates...

If you search for

   david eaton <10

then it'll show you things matching "david eaton" that were posted "about 10
days ago" (plus or minus 10 days -- with higher matches given to those that
are closer to the 10-days-ago-point).

Alternatively, if you search for

   david eaton <10 >1

then it'll show you things that were posted about 10 days ago, plus or minus
1 day.

If you want to go back farther, you can give days/months/years, for example

   david eaton <15/6/1

would look for (favor) things that were posted 15 days, 6 months, and 1 year
ago.  To limit the range to that time period, plus or minus one week, do

   david eaton <15/6/1 >7

I'm thinkin' this'll be quite useful for digging up stuff that's "about a
week ago" or "about 3 months ago" or "oh, about 2 years ago" -- when it's
tough to remember an exact date.

   fractals are amazing <7
   building a bicycle wheel <0/3
   sensors and methods for mobile robot positioning <//2

- Search for articles containing a URL

Not sure how to handle this yet.

- option to ONLY return the heads of threads

Ahh yes -- I'll put that on the "must do" list.  That won't be too hard once
the thread lists are generated internally for other purposes.

--Todd